Wednesday, February 28, 2007

TopMod

:)



TopMod is a program that allows you to make shapes that you couldn’t make in any other modeling program. By adding and deleting edges, you can create or delete handles, holes can be opened or closed, etc. The program is very convenient and easy to use.

I began my model with an octahedron. I used extrusion and the different commands within it to come up with an idea. For a while, I just tried to make the model evened out by adding the same type of commands in each section of it. Once my model was finalized, I messed around with the high genus modeling command to see if my model could look better, but I ended up sticking with the normal one I had before. My model doesn’t really look like a certain object but I liked the way that it was formed. I then took my object to Autodesk Viz to use ambient occlusion.

Ambient occlusion is a shading method used in 3d programs which helps add realism to an object. It does this by taking into account reduction of light due to occlusion. Ambient occlusion is calculated by casting rays in all directions of the surface.

The programs that I have started to use this semester are efficient, handy, and easy to use. At first they are a little complicated because I have to start from the bottom and learn how to work everything within the program. I have done a couple of tutorials and googled some ways to help me but really it’s all about practice. I have worked mainly with AutoCAD and have noticed that these other programs take less time to use. I like them.

1 comment:

dave morris said...

you didn't turn off logarithmic exposure control like i asked you guys to do many times... it was also in the video.